SRM University plan to start NSS Cell to develop the students’ personality through community service. At present 60 students are willing to join in NSS Cell. We have already taken steps to start NSS Cell in Our university and our volunters are willing to do community service as part of NSS.
NSS In Charge :
Mr.S.Saravanan Asst. Prof. (Sr.G)
School of Information Technology,
SRM University, Sikkim
The cardinal principle of the NSS programme is that it is organised by the students themselves, and both students and teachers through their combined participation in community service, get a sense of involvement in the tasks of nation building.The programme aims to inculcate social welfare in students, and to provide service to society without bias. NSS volunteers work to ensure that everyone who is needy gets help to enhance their standard of living and lead a life of dignity. In doing so, volunteers learn from people in villages how to lead a good life despite a scarcity of resources. it also provides help in natural and man-made disasters by providing food,clothing and first aid to the disaster victims.
The broad objectivies of NSS are to :
- Understand the community in which they work;
- Understand themselves in relation to their community;
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process;
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility;
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solution to individual and community problems;
- Develop competence required for group living and sharing of responsibilities;
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation;
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude;
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters
- Practice national integration and social harmony.